January 17, 2010

Let's Dip: Sausage, Cream Cheese and Rotel? Maybe I Am Not a Crack Addict

As I stated in my introduction, this blog stemmed from my desire to make dips and desserts, for better or for worse. New dips were recently explored at a holiday party my husband and I threw in December. However, the two new dips did not turn out quite as I expected. I blamed this on two things (1) no trial run/taste test and (2) that stupid basketball crockpot.

So last night I decided to recreate the one dip I really wanted that night and which I found on the Crockpot Lady's Blog:

The Crockpot Lady likened it to Mommy Crack. I thought "I like crack!". While that is not exactly true, I do like food crack - you know, that stuff that is horrible for you but so addicting you just cannot stop eating it. In dip form? Heaven.

So I got out the smaller 2 qt crockpot I bought just for the holiday party:

And began gathering the ingredients. First up, pork sausage:

I used Bob Evans because I like to buy expensive things. Ha! Actually I had a coupon. Next up, cream cheese:

That is HEAVEN. Really, what doesn't taste good with cream cheese? I got the 1/3 less fat to convince, I mean fool, myself that this dish would not be so bad for me. Finally, the last ingredient:

If you don't know what Rotel is (because frankly I didn't), it is basically what the can says, diced tomatoes and green chilies. I am loving that concept.

The instructions were simple. Plop the cream cheese in your crockpot:

Dump in the cooked and crumbled sausage on top:

And then dump in the Rotel:

Cook on high for 45 minutes or low for 90 minutes. I opted for low. It smelled good. It was piping hot. It looked like this:

Um, does that look like a dip? It kind of looks like sausage soup.* I think it was the consistency that bugged me the most. I like my dip to be a bit thicker. Also? Apparently pork sausage doesn't really agree with me. Who knew?

I REALLY wanted to like this dip. But, I can't. It is too soupy for me.

Things I Learned:
  • Cream cheese does not make everything okay
  • I will try anything with cream cheese in it
  • I am a sucker for dips
  • Warm food makes for a warm tummy which will warm up your ice cold fingers
  • I fling a lot of raw meat around when frying it
  • I need some taste testers
Tell me:

Have any of you made this before? Is there something else I should do? I am not beyond trying this dip again. Commenters on the Crockpot Lady's website mention Velveeta in the place of the cream cheese. Generally that has a thicker consistency and I have had it as a dip before. I might have to give that a try since I still have a can of Rotel.

What are your thoughts?

*I even checked my photo against the original recipe photo from the Crockpot Lady's site. It was basically the same. Apparently it is supposed to look like that?


j'lynn said...

Did she use reduced fat cream cheese? Sometimes that can make a difference. To be honest, it doesn't look yummy at all. I would agree with the Velveeta suggestion too. Good luck with tweeking this one...

Debi said...

Hmm, that is interesting, it sounds so good, but it sure don't look good - LOL
(altho knowing me, I would have liked it)
I wonder if less cream cheese would work, but I think I would just go on to a new one.
(and you can always use Dad and Jon for testers!)

Debbie said...

Yes Velveeta! I was wondering why this recipe sounded familiar yet didn't look it. Try it again with Velveeta, I think it will be more like crack that way!

Rach said...

Scott loves that dip made with Velveeta. The only time I've ever eaten warm/baked/cooked/melted cream cheese is in my NY style cheesecakes - not dips.

"A" for effort?

ps - I fling meat, too.

*~Dani~* said...

jlynn - she did not, but I still do not think it would have solved the soupy nature of it. It didnt look yummy to me either. I will work on this later after I get over my disappointment.

Debi - it sounds good in theory. I think less cream cheese would be worse. I actually thought of less sausage and more cream cheese.

Debbie - Velveeta seems to be the cry. What about Velveeta and cream cheese mixed together? I am going to get a stomach ache.

Rach - Thanks for the A for effort. I appreciate it. I also am happy to know that I am not the only meat flinger.

Jennifer said...

ohhh, that did not turn out as expected. Does it have to sit for a while before you can it eat? Like Rice-A-Roni?

*~Dani~* said...

Jennifer - I am thinking no because the next day it was hard as a rock and even more gross.