February 14, 2010

It's a Hit! Asian Shredded Beef in the Crockpot a/k/a I Will Eat Anything with Chow Mein Noodles

Since today was Valentine's Day and I *love* my husband, I decided it was guinea pig day and that we needed to try a new dish in our crockpot rotation. Isn't that what love is all about, experimentation?

Not so much in this house, but I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. And it was good. Very, very good.

Taken from my favorite food blogger, The Crockpot Lady, I went with:


These are the ingredients you need. I used an almost 4 lb roast. We have plenty left over.


First you need to plop your roast in the pot like so:



Then add 2 teaspoons of garlic powder and 2 teaspoons of Chinese 5-spice. Add to that 6 tablespoons of ketchup and 6 tablespoons of honey. Then on top of that add 1/2 cup soy sauce and a 1/2 cup of hoisin sauce so it looks messy like this:



Set the crockpot to low for 8 hours. After 8 hours, cut up the roast in big chunks and turn to high for another hour. Then the roast will shred so simply with a fork like so:



Okay, maybe not the most attractive picture, but you have to trust. I served it with white rice and chow mein noodles. So beautiful:



Verdict:

B said this was really good. I liked it, but felt it was a bit salty and needed a bit more flavor.

Things I learned:

  • I really don't like salt so I may either get a half sodium soy sauce next time or cut the amount in half
  • I like things with a bit of kick so I am looking for an ingredient to slightly spice this up
  • I may either add more honey or some brown sugar next time for a bit of a sweeter taste
  • Chow mein noodles rock (but I already knew that)
  • Shredded beef is more than just for sandwiches
  • Tell me:

    Any thoughts on what I could use to sweeten and/or spice this dish up?



    4 comments:

    Ruth said...

    The recipe sounds delicious. I'm married to an even pickier eater than your husband and I think he would like this. I'll have to try it soon.

    j'lynn said...

    Ginger maybe?!?

    I'm not really sure if that would work, but I'm always hearing people using ginger...

    Teriayki sauce perhaps?

    Yeah, I really don't know...I'm just tossing out words that I've seen associated with "cooking"...

    That looks yummy and something I definitely will be trying sometime in the future! :)

    Jennifer said...

    That does sound good. I am amazed B actually tried it! Does he know what was in it?

    *~Dani~* said...

    Ruth - It was delicious. I really did not know he was that picky. I now see where B gets it from.

    jlynn - I think there was ginger in the 5 spice although that immediately came to mind and maybe something to sweeten it or tang it maybe?

    Jennifer - B has been a good tasting volunteer. I didn't tell him what was in it but have promised him I wont serve anything made with mustard.